I have a special reason for writing Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review. I don’t think it’s very often when a pressure cooker is both a good cooker and canner. But the Presto 01781 Pressure Canner is great both for cooking and canning. From my experience, I can very easily say that it is the best stovetop pressure cooker you can find on the market today.
I’m taking the liberty to guess that you are looking for a pressure cooker that delivers excellent cooking and canning services. And if that is the case, you are at the right place. In this Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review, I’ll try to provide all that I’ve got to know about this kitchenware from using it. Here it goes.
I have found that mainly two types of metals are used in making pressure cookers/canners – aluminum and stainless steel. While stainless steel is all about durability, aluminum offers much more than that. I am not so good at Chemistry, but I know well that aluminum is a good conductor of heat. Just to be safe, I tested the canner before writing Presto 01781 Pressure Canner Review. It worked out perfectly!
I have been using the Presto 01781 for a long time now. But cooking with it doesn’t take much time at all. It cooks faster even by the standards of a pressure cooker. This is due to the aluminum body. This helps me a lot whenever I am canning. Proper heating plays a great role when you are canning. It helps to preserve the food properly and thus ensures good health.
Canning with Presto
The Presto 01781 is a 23 Quart pressure canner. You can cook meals for 30 people with your eyes closed. But the thing that makes it one of the Best Pressure Cookers is the ability of “Home Canning”.
Having 23 Quart capacity (which is equivalent to 21.8 Liters), it can hold 16 pint-sized jars or 5 full “Quart” sized jars at a time. Yes, you can do pressure canning with Presto 01781 too.
Plus, it comes with a rack that needs to be placed at the bottom of the canner before placing the jars. The function of the rack is vital. This rack allows water to circulate all through the Canner so that all the jars are equally canned from all sides.
Keep the Flavors Intact
Normally in a pressure cooker of any sort of cooking utensil for that matter, ends up losing a good deal of the flavors and smell of your food. But this won’t happen with the Presto 01781. This pressure cooker has a unique design, which allows it to store all the flavors, smell and thus taste of your food inside the cooker.
It has an inner sealing ring that creates the most perfect sealing you can expect from a pressure cooker. This traps all the steam inside. As a result, your food doesn’t lose any of its flavors. This also helps to store in the nutrients. So, if on this Thanksgiving, you are going to prepare a dinner with Presto 01781 pressure cooker, I bet your guests will be pleased with the food.
Honestly speaking, pressure cookers are always a fuss to clean, electric 0r stovetop. Or that’s just me. However, the Presto 01781 Cooker/Canner is easy, if only you remember how to clean what. Don’t worry, the instruction manual has it all.
The sellers warned me not to use any sort of abrasive cleaner. However, they also did give me a good suggestion of polishing the outer body once in a while to keep it shining. The inner sealing should be removed after every time you use it. Things get stuck in it, so it requires frequent cleaning. You can easily remove the air vent and overpressure plug and clean them. Though a small brush is good, I suggest a pipe cleaner for cleaning the vent pipe.
It’s Safe to Cook with Presto
It is very common to be afraid of pressure cookers. When I was younger, I never entered the kitchen whenever there was one over the stove. Well, in those days, this fear was logical. But with time, simple stove-top pressure cookers have developed a lot. Now, they are completely safe even if you are a beginner. Presto 01781 Pressure Canner/Cooker is no exception. I assure you, you don’t have to worry a bit. It has the following safety features:
- Stay-cool handles elimenate chances of burning your hands.
- Pressure indicator shows when there is pressure inside the cooker and how much pressure is there.
- There is an emergency pressure release valve, which releases pressure if excessive pressure builds inside the cooker.
- A pop-up pressure indicator shows if there is any pressure in the cooker; when the indicator pops back down that means there is no pressure in the cooker and it is safe to open the lid.
Pros of the Cooker
- It has a 23 Quart capacity.
- Manufacturers made Presto 01781 Pressure Cooker with heavy-duty warp-resistant aluminum; helps in fast and even heating.
- It is as gooPresto 01781 cooker comes with a rack to place at the bottom when canning to keep the jars off the bottom and let the liquid circulate underneath.d a Canner as it is a cooker.
- You can put 16 pint-sized jars or 5 full quart-sized jars inside.
- Presto 01781 cooker comes with a rack to place at the bottom when canning to keep the jars off the bottom and let the liquid circulate underneath.
- You can use this cooker/canner on any cooktop you want.
- It has a pop-up pressure indicator to tell whether there is pressure inside the cooker.
- It comes with an “Easy to Operate” steam release system.
- I tested the safety measures while writing Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review; they were satisfactory.
- The lid locks down while cooking or canning; pressure only starts to build up when the lid is properly closed.
- There is an inner sealing ring which helps to lock all the steam inside; thus all the flavors and smell of your food remains intact.
- Cleaning the canner/cooker is easy, just follow the instruction manual.
- A “12-year Warranty” period is a good bargain.
I wouldn’t say my Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review is a bed of roses. In fact, there are few blemishes that I feel like mentioning here. Firstly, being a 23 Quart aluminum pressure cooker/canner, it already weighs 12 pounds. Now 12 pounds is an easy weight. But when I fill the whole thing up for either cooking or canning, it becomes quite heavy. In the beginning, it seemed like a big deal.
In fact, the first time I did canning with Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner, I had to call for assistance to put it on and take it off the stove. However, now that I got used to it, weight isn’t a factor anymore. So, just be careful.
Secondly, this kitchenware asks for a lot of space. Well, that’s obvious for a 23 Quart pressure cooker, right? I didn’t have any issue regarding this, though. Because I have a fairly large kitchen. So, depending on the size and space of your kitchen, this factor can vary.
Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker 01781 instructions
Can I use Presto 01781 Pressure Cooker on “Smooth Top” stoves?
Yes, Presto has declared it safe to use this pressure cooker on Glass Top Stoves. I noticed one Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review where the owner used it on a Glass Top. I can advise you to do the following:
- Use the largest Glass Top Stove possible. Make sure, Presto 01781 doesn’t extend to more than 1-inch all around the stove.
- You will do well not to use the Canner consistently on the burner.
- Refrain from rotating or even sliding the pressure cooker onto the burner. You will not have scratches.
- Don’t forget to clean the pressure canner and the cooktop after using them.
Where is it manufactured?
It is made in China.
Will it prove too heavy for the elder citizens?
No, I don’t think it will be heavy. The Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review will tell you, it uses Aluminum in the making. The pressure cooker/canner is light enough for 60+ males or females to use.
What type of jars to use with this Pressure Canner?
A Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review suggests that pint jars don’t necessarily work all that well for water bath canning. You can use them for Pressure Canning instead. But people have used the pint-size mason jars. The measurements are 12 Half-Pints, 10 Pints. Presto 23-quart pressure canner Walmart.
Takeaways from Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review
In this Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner Review, I’ve tried to share all my knowledge (well) so that it becomes easy for you to choose. The best way to know about a commodity is not by reading, but by using it in person.
I know it’s not possible to buy this pressure cooker and then throw it away if you don’t like it. I kinda took a risk when I bought it. But that’s one risk I am glad of, really. So, if you ask me, you don’t need to think twice before buying Presto 01781. It’s big, and it’s reliable.