It’s well documented that I have a secret love for Oreos. If they are spied in a biscuit tin they will be second choice to Jammy Dodgers. As well as just scoffing them Oreos make great edible dirt or in this case the base of easy monster truffles.
This recipe is based on the ridiculously easy oreo truffle recipe which uses just two ingredients: biscuits and cream cheese. This is a great activity for young children as it involved fine motor skills, no heat and a little bit of mess. What is cooking without a bit of mess? I highly recommend wearing disposable gloves to make the truffles as the mixture can get sticky, but don’t worry the truffles will firm up with a brief chill in the fridge. Alternatively you could use the same decoration technique with my rum truffles recipe.
Making coloured coconut is also a great activity for children to get involved with and you’ll be glad to know this involves less mess than you think.
- Put the desiccated coconut in a freezer bag.
- Add a small amount of food colouring (ideally the gel kind).
- Seal the bag.
- Rub the bag and its contents until the coconut is evenly coloured.
- Pour out on to a plate and it’s ready to use.
When it comes to the biscuits used in the truffles it doesn’t have to be Oreos, though these give a darker colour, bourbon biscuits work equally well. Also you don’t have to just make monsters, the limit is your spooky imagination.
- 100g oreo or bourbon biscuits
- 50g cream cheese
- 25g desiccated coconut
- green food dye
- small amount of white sugarpaste
- small amount of brown or black sugarpaste
- cocktail stick
- Put the biscuits in a freezer bag and break into fine crumbs with a rolling pin. Alternatively pulse in a blender until the biscuits have turned into crumbs.
- Mix the biscuits crumbs with the cream cheese until well combined.
- Make the green coconut as instructed above.
- Roll the truffle mixture into 12 balls then roll in the green coconut.
- Place on a piece of baking parchment.
- Roll a small ball of white sugarpaste and top with a small ball of brown sugarpaste, then squash this to make the eye.
- Attach the eye to the body by pressing the cocktail stick through the eye into the body.
- Chill the truffles until ready to eat.