The next chapter

brotform

The last month has seen some huge changes for us here. The cottage that shaped our life and love of food for most of our 20s has gone and been replaced with a grown-up house. A home with beautiful period features, a big kitchen, proper garden, dining room, dishwasher, central heating and most importantly space for us to entertain properly. We can now have more than two guests over for dinner without them having to sit on the sofa to eat.

A month without internet can do funny things. You don’t realise how much you use it in everyday life until you don’t have it. Even registering to vote for the upcoming elections is difficult without internet. With only a ropy 2G signal to keep me in contact with the modern world I began to notice a theme with the blogs I visited regularly with my precious mobile data allowance.  They were blogs that blogged about their life. No sponsored content, no gimmicks, no product placement, not contrived, just life and inspiration that is usually illustrated with beautiful photos. If a product is mentioned it’s because it’s genuinely used and liked not because a PR has sent it.

I’m not saying the other style of blogs is wrong, it’s just not me. If I don’t enjoy reading it why would I enjoy writing it? When I started this blog in 2007 it was pure recipes. As it has evolved it has taken more or a personal/lifestyle edge to it. I often look back through the blog to remind me of things I’ve made or visited and it’ll often tie to events in my life at the time. I just feel when I continue to read this blog in later years I want to read about our life and what we love, not about the latest breakfast cereal on the market.

So here’s to the next chapter of the blog and that outdoor kitchen with pizza oven Hubs has been dreaming about for years may finally get built.

22 thoughts on “The next chapter

thingswemake.co.uk

(April 18, 2013 - 8:01 am)

All the best for your new chapter.

I agree, I quickly drop off blogs that are full of ads and sponsored content. I look forward to seeing the outdoor kitchen/pizza oven plans!

(April 18, 2013 - 3:35 pm)

Thank you Claire. We did make a small pizza oven a few years back but this is going to be a permanent one to go with the tandoor oven.

Deepa (@lazygiraffe)

(April 18, 2013 - 8:35 am)

Your new place sounds wonderful. I do agree about sponsored content, I’ve not gone down that route myself because I can’t bring myself to write about things like that. I will write about a new product/restaurant/cafe if it is genuinely good but not because I’ve been sent a freebie. I like seeing proper recipes and inspiration on blogs rather than paid for PR.

(April 18, 2013 - 3:36 pm)

I agree. I’m going on an Indian cookery course in a few weeks time as a late xmas present from Hubs. I’ll probably blog about it (as long as I remember to take photos!)

Allotment Dave

(April 18, 2013 - 10:28 am)

I hope you will both be very happy in your new abode. I am setting up a new blog and went through the sponsored adds internal discussion. I came down on the side of no adds. I only add links when I believe in the product or person. See you anon.
    Allotment Dave

(April 18, 2013 - 3:40 pm)

Allotment Dave, we’ll be starting from scratch with our veg patches again though we’ve brought the grape vine and my herb planters for the old house. Once you have your new blog up and running let me know.

thelittleloaf

(April 18, 2013 - 12:11 pm)

I’m totally with you on this – I reviewed a couple of products back when I was starting out but only things I really believed in. Now I prefer to keep it all my own – it feels cleaner and more personal.
    As for having an outdoor pizza oven, that’s our absolute lifelong dream for when we have a proper grown up house – I hope you get yours too!

(April 18, 2013 - 3:42 pm)

thelittleloaf you know how much I love your blog, though it is thoroughly bad for my waistline!

selfraisingflower

(April 18, 2013 - 2:11 pm)

Outdoor pizza oven – that’s on my list to have built in the garden once we’ve built our kitchen extension!!

Angela Darroch

(April 18, 2013 - 4:41 pm)

Congratulations on your new house. We are in the process of buying a new house so I know how exciting it must be for you. Loved what you had to say about ads etc. Some of the ads for face wrinkles and weight loss are just so off putting when reading a food blog.

(May 11, 2013 - 9:33 am)

Angela, I hope the house buying goes well.

mrsfinelife

(April 18, 2013 - 7:18 pm)

I’m really excited about this for you! I totally agree that you can only write passionately about what you are interested in, and I look forward to hearing more about your new home, your cooking and your life. I also blog to record memories (and recipes), and you can’t sponsor memories!

(May 11, 2013 - 9:32 am)

It’s true you can’t sponsor memories.

Lynne Gill

(April 20, 2013 - 8:15 pm)

Totally with you here. I don’t do adverts, I don’t sell anything. I may review something i’ve used but only for interest; I wouldn’t know how to get a sponsor if I wanted one. Finding a blog covered with flashy adverts instantly puts me off, and I’m gone! I blog about food, textiles, folk music and more food! And the occasional rant.
    How lovely that you’ve found your ‘grown-up home’, may you have years of happiness and great entertaining in it.

(May 11, 2013 - 9:32 am)

Thank you very much Lynne.

Louisa [Living Lou]

(April 24, 2013 - 9:32 pm)

Lovely post, Jules! Congrats on your new home, I have always wanted an outdoor pizza oven also! Maybe one day. Best of luck in the new house, can’t wait to read about it on here.

(May 11, 2013 - 9:31 am)

I predict the pizza oven will be built next year.

Charlotte @charlottekdiary

(April 25, 2013 - 11:49 am)

Congratulations and all the best for your new life in your new home. Totally with you on that regarding blogs. Best, Charlotte

(May 11, 2013 - 9:30 am)

Thank you very much Charlotte.

MrsP (@The_NewMrsP)

(April 26, 2013 - 12:15 pm)

Wishing you all the best in your new home, you had to wait long enough!! If you do get an outdoor pizza oven I will be so jealous!!

(May 11, 2013 - 9:30 am)

Thank you. The whole process of selling and buying took us 28 months.