How to kill a foodie mojo

Things have been quiet here for various reasons. In amongst all the cooking and prep I’ve done in my kitchen for my business, I’ve been regularly transforming our kitchen into something that resembles a photo shoot from Country Living Magazine. Yes, we’re selling up…and have been for the last 18months. The life plans are on hold.

You wouldn’t believe how quickly your passion for cooking can be obliterated when your kitchen is sparkly clean and the majority of the useful stuff has been hidden away to make the place look uncluttered. Who knew that hiding stuff in the washing machine / cooker / microwave would provide so much space?

In these austerity times bijou 18th century cottages are a rather niche market. I’ve lost count how many potential buyers have walked through the door, claim to have fallen in love with its period features, charm and location then end up buying a tiny soulless new build in a postcode I wouldn’t even let my worst enemy live in. They then want us to price match, erm, bugger off. Thankfully our newest Estate Agent (who we’ve been with since the beginning of the year) is brilliant and trying their best. As for the Estate Agent we had for the first 12 months…ahem.

The housing market is dire. When we bought the cottage 8 years ago the property market was booming. We fought off other people to buy it. That was also the time when they were offering stupid mortgages. I remember being offered a 115% mortgage in one place. Thankfully we were sensible and saved a hefty deposit which means we’re not as screwed as some people are right now.

So there we have it. Some times being an adult is rubbish, but I try to remember that there are people in a worse situation than us. We can still pay the mortgage, we have lovely neighbours and *touchwood* we’re not in negative equity, but putting your whole life on hold physically, mentally and financially for getting on 2 years isn’t great for your soul.

22 thoughts on “How to kill a foodie mojo

Homemade by Fleur

(August 31, 2012 - 6:34 am)

I really feel for you. Selling a house is really tough and having your house on the market is not fun. But it’s the ‘life in hold’ aspect which is hardest I think. Maybe you could treat yourself to one day baking a week when you are happy to make a mess again. I find baking helps me cope with most things. Good luck with the new estate agent. X

(September 1, 2012 - 12:41 pm)

Fleur, thank you very much. I like the idea of baking therapy.

ttholler

(August 31, 2012 - 6:48 am)

I hope your cottage sells soon Jules. Poor you. Trying times :(

(September 1, 2012 - 3:18 pm)

Sally

(August 31, 2012 - 6:58 am)

If it’s any consolation, we made one mistake combined with one piece of bad luck in property and we’ve been paying for it ever since. You are in a good place and I’m sure the right buyer will come along.

(September 1, 2012 - 12:43 pm)

Sally, I think you’re right. We just need to sit and wait patiently.

Helen

(August 31, 2012 - 7:38 am)

We moved three months ago so I know what you mean about life being on hold. Even after moving in we had no proper cooker so I couldn’t get back to baking. Mind you, I didn’t want to. All my enthusiasm had been drained out of me. Fingers crossed with your new estate agent. Once we changed agents ours sold a few months later.

(September 1, 2012 - 12:47 pm)

Helen, I hope your foodie mojo comes back soon.

Lynne Clark

(August 31, 2012 - 7:54 am)

Oh I do feel for you. We are trying to sell my mother’s retirement flat now she has gone into a residential home. We have about three quarters of our own savings tied up in her equity, and it is now a year it has been on the market with only a fistful of viewings.

I can’t see it getting any better in the near future, so we have to put all our own plans on hold as we can’t move until her place is sold.

As you say, good being an adult isn’t it…. :(

(September 1, 2012 - 12:51 pm)

It would seem there is a great deal of us in similar stalemate.

James

(August 31, 2012 - 1:22 pm)

Property woes – still? Seems like a lifetime ago you were selling up. Seems to be more of a buyers market right now – prices down £75 – 100,000 from when we were looking at the beginning of the year. Good news for me as I’ve got nowhere to sell, just got to find the right place. Being stuck going nowhere is tough – been doing that for 2 1/2 years, but worth hanging in there – things can only get better!

(September 1, 2012 - 12:53 pm)

It certainly is a buyers market. The one advantage I’m finding is that property that was unafforable a year ago is now within grasp (once we sell ours!)

Amy

(August 31, 2012 - 2:32 pm)

That’s really quite rubbish.

I have nothing constructive to say, but I really do hope that things look up and you feel better soon x

(September 1, 2012 - 1:00 pm)

Thank you Amy.

Charlotte - Charlotte's Kitchen Diary

(August 31, 2012 - 6:42 pm)

I do hope you manage to find a buyer Jules. We have been trying to buy for over 2 years without any luck. You are spot on when you say the housing market is rubbish at the moment! Good luck x

(September 1, 2012 - 1:04 pm)

I hope you manage to buy soon.

Maria @ Feisty Tapas

(August 31, 2012 - 8:24 pm)

I’ve been missing your posts! I was in a similar position last year (for over a year I had my flat, that I had rented out when I moved in with my husband, in the market), I had to lower the price quite a bit but it finally sold and we managed to move a few months ago. It is so painful when you’re in the middle of it but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

(September 1, 2012 - 9:26 pm)

Thank you. I think we may be lowering the price yet again.

Sarah

(September 1, 2012 - 5:44 am)

My parents are in the same position, only they’re trying to sell 100 acres with a really ugly house on it. The location and views are superb, the price is high, there are no buyers… Or the buyers end up getting a place further from the city with no views.

(September 1, 2012 - 1:05 pm)

The property market really has been flipped. People seem to be no longer interested in locations and only price will do.

Domestic Executive (@domesticexec)

(September 1, 2012 - 7:27 pm)

There is nothing more debilitating that trying to sell your house. That state of limbo is excruciating. We’ve always had luck when it comes to selling property except for my house in Sunderland when we got married and moved south, it took over a year to sell although I did rent it out in the end so we did at least have some money to pay our rent in Guildford. My advice is never be in when the viewings happen – leave everything to the agents to do accompanied viewings. For one thing it means you don’t have to see the prospective buyers and can stay emotionally detached. Also, it means that the buyers can give a truly honest assessment as they look around and the agent can do a better selling job. Every time we have left it to agents to take the strain we have sold the property quickly. Even if it means they shove the washing up in the oven and washing machine in a rushed and surprise appointment. Good luck, hope your buyer come along soon.

(September 1, 2012 - 9:28 pm)

The thing is we do the viewings. Maybe I should see if the Estate Agent could do them.