I was never intending on blogging this recipe. It was just another weekday dinner where the top priority is to eat, not prance around and photograph, however I liked the colours of the burgers and it turns out even carnivore Hubs enjoyed these burgers. They remind me a bit of the broccoli burgers at Green Gourmet Giraffe which are a firm favourite here.
The recipe started out as a Sainsbury’s recipe for Veggie croquettes, but I changed the recipe by swapping evil aubergine for courgette and playing around with the quantities a bit. I call these blender burgers because you just bung all the ingredients into the blender and before you know it you have burgers. I’m a fan of this method when it’s midweek. Often I’ve been on my feet all day cooking and teaching and I just want something quick for dinner without the faff.
Now the photo above shows this recipe when split into two giant burgers. Even hollow legged husband struggled to eat a burger this size with all the trimmings so I do suggest splitting the mixture into 4.
Veggie Blender Burgers
Makes 2 gready gut sized burgers or 4 normal sized burgers.
When I say ‘finely chop’ in the recipe, what I really mean is blitz it in the blender.
1 small leek
1 small courgette
1 large carrot
small handful of fresh parsley
40g mature cheddar, cubed
120g fresh breadcrumbs (90g for burgers, 30g for coating)
1 tbsp flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1) Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a deep frying pan. Finely chop the leek then fry this gently until softened.
2) Finely chop the courgette & carrot, then add this to the onion in the pan and cook gently for a further 10 minutes.
3) Transfer the cooked vegetables into a large bowl.
4) Put both the parsley and cheese into the blender and finely chop then mix in with the vegetables along with 90g of the breadcrumbs.
5) Mix together the mixture with your hands. 1/4 mixture and form into 4 burgers.
6) Dip the burgers in flour, beaten egg then in the remaining breadcrumbs.
7) Heat another tbsp of olive oil in the pan then fry burger for around 5 min each side until cooked, crisp and golden.