Veggie Blender Burgers

I was never intending on blogging this recipe. It was just another weekday dinner where the top priority is to eat, not prance around and photograph, however I liked the colours of the burgers and it turns out even carnivore Hubs enjoyed these burgers. They remind me a bit of the broccoli burgers at Green Gourmet Giraffe which are a firm favourite here.

The recipe started out as a Sainsbury’s recipe for Veggie croquettes, but I changed the recipe by swapping evil aubergine for courgette and playing around with the quantities a bit. I call these blender burgers because you just bung all the ingredients into the blender and before you know it you have burgers. I’m a fan of this method when it’s midweek. Often I’ve been on my feet all day cooking and teaching and I just want something quick for dinner without the faff.

Now the photo above shows this recipe when split into two giant burgers. Even hollow legged husband struggled to eat a burger this size with all the trimmings so I do suggest splitting the mixture into 4.

Veggie Blender Burgers
Makes 2 gready gut sized burgers or 4 normal sized burgers.
When I say ‘finely chop’ in the recipe, what I really mean is blitz it in the blender.

1 small leek

1 small courgette

1 large carrot

small handful of fresh parsley

40g mature cheddar, cubed

120g fresh breadcrumbs (90g for burgers, 30g for coating)

1 tbsp flour

1 egg, lightly beaten

olive oil

1) Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a deep frying pan. Finely chop the leek then fry this gently until softened.

2) Finely chop the courgette & carrot, then add this to the onion in the pan and cook gently for a further 10 minutes.

3) Transfer the cooked vegetables into a large bowl.

4) Put both the parsley and cheese into the blender and finely chop then mix in with the vegetables along with 90g of the breadcrumbs.

5) Mix together the mixture with your hands. 1/4 mixture and form into 4 burgers.

6) Dip the burgers in flour, beaten egg then in the remaining breadcrumbs.

7) Heat another tbsp of olive oil in the pan then fry burger for around 5 min each side until cooked, crisp and golden.

12 thoughts on “Veggie Blender Burgers

Holly B @ Recipes from a Normal Mum

(July 15, 2012 - 8:44 pm)

I for one am really glad you blogged this recipe. It looks divine. x

(July 15, 2012 - 8:54 pm)

Thank you Holly. Let me know if you make them.

ttholler

(July 15, 2012 - 10:44 pm)

They look great Jules. I am glad you posted them. It is always good to find a new burger recipe :)

(July 15, 2012 - 10:47 pm)

I’ve been trying to find a tasty veggie burger recipe for a while that doesn’t contain beans or pulses. I may try them with a bit of Beetroot next time.

thelittleloaf

(July 16, 2012 - 8:28 am)

Glad you got around to putting this up – they look lovely. I was veggie for 10 years but now I eat meat I find it hard to think of vegetarian options for friends. Will save this for a standby recipe!

(July 16, 2012 - 9:24 am)

I like to inflict vegetarian dishes on my unsuspecting husband twice a week. I know they are good if he doesn’t complain about lack of meat!

TheEmptyCakeTin

(July 16, 2012 - 8:37 am)

What a simple idea – love the fact that they’re not stacked full of chick peas!

(July 16, 2012 - 9:17 am)

I’m not a big chickpea fan at all so try and avoid them at all costs.

Tika

(July 16, 2012 - 10:18 pm)

I tried, and I failed… I somehow got the mixture too wet and ended up with more bubble and squeak than burgers! Tasty all the same. I think my courgette was too large to balance the other veggies, oh well. Was fun to make ( confession time, I’m thirty and that was the first time I’d chopped veg in a food mixer ) and like baking I couldn’t resist licking the spoon as I went, terribly unhygienic but it tasted SO yummy!!!
    Thanks! X

(July 17, 2012 - 9:27 am)

Tika, glad you enjoyed them even if they ended up being a bit wet. Next time if the mixture seems a bit wet add some more breadcrumbs and bake in the oven at 210 for 25min instead. This helps stop them falling apart when trying to flip them.

Johanna GGG

(July 19, 2012 - 11:21 am)

looks like a delicious meal – I love these sort of veg burgers – glad you enjoy the broccoli burgers too

(August 15, 2012 - 8:41 am)

Thank you for the broccoli burger recipe!