Coffee & Walnut Bundt Cake

Coffee & Walnut cake is a bit of  a marmite cake; people either love or hate it. Hubs hates coffee flavoured anything so I rarely get to make a coffee cake at home. I love Coffee & Walnut cake and my Aunt bakes a particularly good one. She is partly the reason I’m now a fully paid up member of the WI.

Around this time every year a group of us from Hubs’ family decamp to a family member’s house and spend the weekend eating, drinking and catching up. It is tradition that I take along cake. Sometimes it is one of my cake experiments. This time was the turn of Coffee & Walnut Bundt Cake.

Bundt cakes originate in Germany and are cakes baked in a ring shape. They are have only really begun to catch on in the UK in the last year or so and Dolly Bakes is the queen of bundt cakes. The thing I like about baking cakes in bundt/savarin moulds is that the resulting cake needs little decoration and it makes a 1lb cake go further.

Hands up, I line all of my tins when baking. I just get paranoid that I’m going to have to try and save a stuck, broken cake. Of course due to the shape of bundt tins you can’t line it and I used Dr Oetker cake release and a prayer. Only while it was baking away in the oven did I start to ask the hive mind that is Twitter how I should prep a tin for bundt cakes. It turns out it is also worth flouring the tin so I was so pleased when my cake slipped cleanly out the tin. This particular tin holds a 1lb cake (or 2 large egg sponge mix if you think that way.)

Coffee & Walnut Bundt Cake
(suitable for 1lb cake tin)

120g Stork or butter

120g caster sugar

2 large eggs

100ml cold strong coffee (you may not need all of this)

120g self-raising flour

1 tbsp milk

50g chopped walnuts

100g icing sugar

1) Beat together the Stork & sugar until light and fluffy.

2) Mix in the eggs one at a time. If the mixture begins to curdle after one egg and a spoonful of the flour.

3) Fold in the flour then add the coffee one TBSP at a time until the mixture of is of dropping consistency.

4) Stir in the chopped walnuts.

5) Grease the inside of a savarin/bundt mould with butter then dust with flour. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level with a spoon.

7) Place the mould in a preheated oven and bake at 170°c for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes clean out of the cake. Once the cake is ready you’ll notice that the sides of the cake will have come away slightly from the tin.

8) Allow the cake to cool completely before trying to remove from the tin. Invert mould on to a plate. If the cake needs a little encouragement slide a silicone spatula down the side of the cake to help ease it out.

9) Mix the icing sugar with 2 TBSP of the coffee, then drizzle over the cake. Add some walnut halves to decorate.

12 thoughts on “Coffee & Walnut Bundt Cake

George@CulinaryTravels

(June 20, 2012 - 11:09 am)

Gorgeous looking cake Jules. Coffee & walnut is one of my favourites.

(July 15, 2012 - 9:01 pm)

Thank you. Sometimes the classic cakes are the best.

laura@howtocookgoodfood

(June 20, 2012 - 5:57 pm)

I just love a coffee cake and love coffee in general so this is something I would love to make or eat at any time of the day. I have just bought my first ever tin of cake releae spray and used it with great success on my birthday butterfly cake. There is no going back now!

(July 15, 2012 - 9:01 pm)

I will admit I’m a bit of a cake release addict now if I can’t line the tin with parchment.

Peggy Livingston

(June 22, 2012 - 10:42 pm)

I would love to make this cake. I live in the US, and we do not go by grams. Could you give us the measurement in cup sizes. Also, what is caster sugar? Thanks so much, and happy cooking.

(June 23, 2012 - 6:02 am)

Hi Peggy, the measurements are approximately 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 stick of butter. Caster sugar is know as superfine sugar in the USA. Caster sugar is slightly finer than granulated sugar, but not powdered. If you can’t get caster sugar for thos recipe use granulated.

cakeboule

(June 25, 2012 - 9:18 pm)

I love the look of this and this is the second post I’ve read to night on budt the World is trying to tell me something apart from I am hungry now.

(July 15, 2012 - 9:00 pm)

Bundts are slowly beginning to take over the world.

ATasteOfMadness

(June 27, 2012 - 12:07 am)

Haha, marmite cake… My dad LOVES marmite, but I just can’t stand the stuff.
    This cake looks delicious! I have never made a bundt cake, but I really want to try!

(July 15, 2012 - 8:59 pm)

I’m often near the Marmite factory and can’t stand the stuff!

tinah

(July 10, 2013 - 11:04 am)

Hi Jules,

I was wondering if you had any idea where coffee and walnut cake specifically originated from?

Thanks,

(July 10, 2013 - 11:24 am)

Hi,

I’m not sure where it comes from at all. I know in USA coffee cake just means a cake made to eat with coffee rather than a cake with coffee.