Easter biscuits

Easter Biscuits

These simple buttery biscuits remind me of being a child. Easy to make and so delicious. I can remember making them in school and then scoffing a few before delivering the rest home. They are perfect with a cup of tea and I challenge you to eat just one though.

Some recipes put spice in these biscuits, but I prefer them minus the spice. They can also be made with other dried fruits, but I think they really do work best with currants. A bit like another childhood favourite Squashed Fly Biscuits (aka Garibaldi) that wouldn’t be the same if they weren’t made with currants.

My pupils are making these in class soon and they have been excitedly telling me for weeks that they are looking forward to making them. This may not be because we are making these delicious biscuits but because I’m letting them loose on my large collection of biscuit cutters. I’m fully expecting Easter stegosaurus and handbag biscuits. As one child told me yesterday, Easter biscuits are not just for Easter, they are for all year round. Well she’d quite happily eat them all year round and so could I.

You can chill this dough between cutting the shapes and putting in the oven to help the biscuits keep their shape, but to be honest I wasn’t prepared to wait and they work just as well going straight in the oven.

Easter Biscuits

40g butter, softened

25g caster sugar (plus 1 TBSP for dusting)

70g plain flour

25g currants

1 egg, beaten

1) Beat together the butter and the sugar until fluffy.

2) Stir in the flour and currants until it combines to form a soft dough. If the dough needs a bit of help to come together add a splash of milk.

3) Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until around 5mm thick. Cut out shapes and place on a lined baking tray. Brush the biscuits with beaten egg then dust with the remaining caster sugar.

4) Bake at 200°c for 10 minutes until biscuits are golden. Cool on a wire rack then store in an airtight container.

20 thoughts on “Easter Biscuits

• thelittleloaf

(March 14, 2012 - 1:27 pm)

I mentioned squashed fly biscuits to my boyfriend the other day and he looked at me like I was mad. Glad to hear that you know exactly what I’m talking about, and have also supplied a gorgeous recipe that goes some way to recreating them. Yum!

• Amy

(March 14, 2012 - 1:47 pm)

There’s something really comforting about biscuits like this. Like you said, they always remind me of being a child and being really proud that I managed to bake something. Lovely post — and I LOVE your cutters!

• Glenda

(March 15, 2012 - 8:26 am)

Nice and easy for children to make.

• laura@howtocookgoodfood

(March 17, 2012 - 9:23 pm)

I do envy your biscuit cutter collection and am a massive fan of squashed fly biscuits myself. I most certainly will be following this recipe and love it’s simplicity! Not to mention the wonderful photos :-)

• Victoria

(March 20, 2012 - 12:25 pm)

Your photo is fantastic! Have you managed to get many pics on tastespotting recently?

(March 20, 2012 - 6:20 pm)

TO be honest I gave up submitting photos about 6 months ago as I was never getting one accepted. Maybe I should try again.

• […] on the popular recipe-sharing site revealed some tasty ideas such as bird’s nest cupcakes, Easter biscuits and bunny rice krispies […]

• Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook)

(March 22, 2012 - 8:06 pm)

these look so cute and tasty, i think i’ll have to make some for easter this year! i have a bunch of new springtime cookie cutters just waiting to be used :)

(March 26, 2012 - 10:00 pm)

These will be the perfect biscuit for your springtime cutters.

• Jamie

(March 24, 2012 - 12:13 pm)

Great cookies! And I am thinking mini chocolate chips? Love this recipe!

(March 26, 2012 - 9:59 pm)

Mini chocolate chips would be great. I’ve also thought about putting broken mini eggs in them too.

• willowcottagegarden

(March 31, 2012 - 10:16 pm)

These look great. I have just blogged my Easter effort too!

• Olivia Ashe

(April 9, 2012 - 8:27 pm)

I tried Easter biscuits last year, but the dough was very greasy. I think I used too much butter. I’ll try these since its starting to get cold here :)

(April 9, 2012 - 8:30 pm)

certainly give them a go. If the dough gets too greasy put the dough in the fridge to chill before rolling out, then put the tray of biscuits back in the fridge before cooking.

• […] Biscuits are wonderful from the spicy speculoo to the melt-in-the-mouth Cherry Bakewell biscuit. I’ll also never say no to gaudy pink wafer. For many making biscuits was one of the first things they baked as a child. In my classes children love making biscuits. I think it’s the tactile nature of them or the fact they are let loose on my eclectic collection of biscuit cutters. Handbag shaped Easter biscuit anyone? […]

• […] like British people do, or something else but I just had to bookmark these Easter Biscuits from Butcher Baker Blog for […]

• 20 Easter Brunch Recipes

(March 27, 2013 - 12:03 pm)

[…] Easter Biscuits – no breakfast table is complete without some homemade biscuits. And these Easter biscuits […]

• […] *Easter Biscuits By ButcherBakerBlog These are what we call cookies, not a fluffy biscuit.  BUT, they sound yummy!  And any recipe using dough cutters at Easter is a good thing! […]

• kay vilain

(March 17, 2014 - 4:05 am)

I need some interpretation –caster sugar? 200c=?F. Butter g=?. Sorry I am not familiar with these terms, but the recipe looks great.

(March 17, 2014 - 10:18 am)

200oc is 400of . As for the butter this recipe is written in grams. I’m not sure what measurements you use but 40g of butter is 1.5 oz. The Delia conversion page is a good place for converting measurements http://www.deliaonline.com/conversion-tables.html