Yorkshire Puddings

Plain and simple Yorkshire Puddings

There is something fabulous about the humble Yorkshire pud and important constituent of the Great British roast beef dinner. Unashamedly we have them with all roast dinners. When I was on Holly Bell’s radio show in December my mum had to remind me that no it’s not normal outside our family to serve up yorkies alongside sprouts and turkey.

It’s well known fact I have FOF (fear of frying) and putting a load of oil in the oven to get super hot makes me similarly jittery. Hubs however has no such qualms hence why he is probably chief Yorkie pud maker here.

The key to the perfect Yorkies (according Hubs):

• A batter that isn’t too thick or thin
  • Allow the batter to sit for 30-60 min before using
  • Use a oil with high smoking point. Rapeseed oil, in particular Farrington Oil’s Mellow Yellow, makes the best puddings. We don’t recommend using olive oil.
  • Heat the tin with oil in the oven at 210°c for 15-20 min before pouring in the batter
  • Once the puddings are in the oven, DO NOT open the oven door for 15 min or the puddings will collapse, but to be honest even if they do end up like pancakes they will be significantly better than a well know freezer variety.

We use a proper Yorkshire pudding tin, but this isn’t essential. This recipe makes 8 puddings and they freeze really well.  Once cooled down place in a ziploc bag and freeze. When you want to eat them either cook from frozen in a 200°c oven or it’s even better if you let them thaw out for 30-60min then put in the oven for 5 min to warm through.

Yorkshire Puddings
Makes 8

2 large eggs

115g plain flour

pinch of salt

150ml milk

1) Place the eggs, flour and salt in a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Gradually whisk in the milk. Don’t worry if you have the odd lump.

2) Allow the batter to chill for 30-60min.

3) In to each hole of the Yorkshire pudding tin pour 1 TBSP of rapeseed oil. Put the tin in an oven at 210°c for 15min.

4) Pour the batter into the tin, it should sizzle, then place back in the oven and bake for 15min until risen and golden.

15 thoughts on “Plain and simple Yorkshire Puddings

• Holly B @ Recipes from a Normal Mum

(February 28, 2012 - 8:54 pm)

I think it’s normal!! Must be a Midlands thing. xx

(February 28, 2012 - 9:14 pm)

And I thought it was just our family!

• Deb

(February 28, 2012 - 9:20 pm)

Do you think it’s possible to make a sweet yorkshire pud…. Something like a chocolate pud that you could fill with softly whipped cream and raspberries?????? Perhaps substitute some of the flour for cocoa? Or would the cocoa go bitter because of the temperature of the oil???

(February 28, 2012 - 9:37 pm)

It would be interesting to try. Some people eat jam with Yorkshire puds, but it’s not something I’ve tried.

• Frances

(February 28, 2012 - 9:28 pm)

We have Yorkies with almost any kind of roast. And I’m Australian!!! (Though I do live in Derbyshire)

• Jacqueline

(February 28, 2012 - 11:17 pm)

Brilliant! I am going to follow your recipe and give it a go. I think I will serve it with veggie sausages, gravy, broccoli and mash.

• thelittleloaf

(February 29, 2012 - 7:17 am)

There is NOTHING better than a homemade Yorkshire pud, and I’d happily eat them with any roast (or pretty much any meal to be honest). My boyfriend is from Yorkshire but his mum used to buy in frozen yorkshires which made me so sad – now she has my recipe and all is right in the world :-) Yours (or Hubs’!) look gorgeous – beautifully crisp and light.

(February 29, 2012 - 9:58 am)

I think they are a perfect accompaniment to a meal. Last night we were meant to have a stir fry with leftover Sunday roast beef, but the comfort food of Yorkies called us. Hubs makes better toad in the hole than me too. Even though we use exactly the same recipe.

• Wendy

(February 29, 2012 - 10:11 am)

Agree with Holly – def must be midlands thing – think my girls would riot if no yorkshire puds!

• Patrick George

(February 29, 2012 - 5:29 pm)

When I was a kid sixty years ago we always had YP on Sunday cooked in dripping. My Irish mum served any leftovers cold with jam the next day. I still make them here in Finland, but with oil; although I still think beef dripping was best.

• Nic

(February 29, 2012 - 7:01 pm)

We used to have them cold the next day (or for pudding on the same day) with Golden Syrup – delicious!

• James B

(March 3, 2012 - 3:29 pm)

Yorkshire Puddings go with every roast – FACT! Don’t let anyone tell you anything different. They are so easy to make, NEVER go with that frozen variety found in supermarkets!

• […] dinners and so often in the UK they are a symbol of a family coming together. Here we always have Yorkie puds no matter the meat and then there is the crispy roast potatoes, stuffing and a selection of veg. […]

• Toad in the Hole » Butcher, Baker

(October 9, 2012 - 8:16 pm)

[…] suggests. Hubs uses various tricks to get the batter to raise as well as it does. You can see his tips here. The sausages are from Chantry Farm Shop near Melbourne. By far best sausage makers locally. […]

• George @ Culinary Travels

(August 17, 2014 - 3:34 pm)

As a Yorkshire woman I have to say I adore Yorkshire puds, but especially as toad in the hole. Beef dripping gives the ultimate in flavour and is my choice for the fat.