Derby Clandestine Cake Club

The Clandestine Cake Club Revolution

You’ve probably heard about Clandestine Cake Club (CCC). Kind of like a book club, but with cake. Lots of cake. As a friend pointed out it’s not really clandestine if everyone is talking about it on social media, but it’s clandestine in the fact that the venue is usually kept secret and only revealed to the people attending the event. The only rules are:

• No cupcakes, muffins, brownies pies or tarts. Only cake.
  • You get to take cake home.

The first CCC was organised by Lynn Hill back in December 2010 in Leeds. Since then it’s been spreading throughout the country and over the channel to mainland Europe. The thing I love about attending these events is meeting people with a similar love and trying out recipes I usually wouldn’t have the opportunity to make with just the two of us at home. As much as we could give it a good go a layer cake is really not good for our waistlines here.

Mission statement – bake, eat and talk about cake.

The events are usually themed. For the first Derby CCC at Halloween I made my Beetle Forest Gateaux and this time a Chocolate Heartache Cake for the freaky ingredient theme as it contains aubergine. Other Derby CCC members brought along similar freaky cakes including chilli chocolate cake, black russian cake, pink ombre cake, orange sponge with turmeric buttercream, lemon and rosewater sponge, cherry beet cake and a chocolate orange carrot cake. I’m hoping to attend the next event in Loughborough. I know the theme for the Loughborough event and without giving anything away it’s right up my street.

This Friday turn on to The One Show to see some CCC members, including Derby’s Julia & Lewis, talking about why they love CCC. If I didn’t already have work commitments I would have been joining them with cake on the couch.

If you ever get the chance to attend one of these events I highly recommend it. It’s great fun. Have you attended a Clandestine Cake Club? What cake did you bake?

15 thoughts on “The Clandestine Cake Club Revolution

• Jane

(February 23, 2012 - 12:14 am)

Good gosh, I only wish there were CCCs around here! I would love to be part of such a group. Maybe this concept will make its way across the Atlantic. A girl can hope!

(February 23, 2012 - 4:59 pm)

I’m sure it won’t be long. It’s a great concept.

• Jane Richardson

(February 23, 2012 - 9:25 am)

I am a member of the Leeds one, been to one event last year and another tonight. it is a great way to meet like minded people and bond over cake. The theme for the last Leeds one was Retro so I made a Battenburg. Tonight is Ravenous Rock n Roll so I have made a Cherry and Chocolate cake which I am calling “Cherry Bomb” after the Runaways 1976 hit.

(February 23, 2012 - 4:58 pm)

Both fantastic themes. Enjoy tonight’s club.

• lazygiraffe

(February 23, 2012 - 9:37 am)

I’ve been to the Cambridge CCC’s and I love them, I don’t often bake ‘big’ cakes because there are only two of us to eat them, so it gives me a chance to flex my baking muscles a bit further. Will be tuning in on Friday!

(February 23, 2012 - 4:57 pm)

I think CCC is going to become even more popular from Friday.

• Nelly

(February 23, 2012 - 9:38 am)

I go to Newcastle CCC and love it, such a great place to meet local cake lovers and so much delicious cake! What is not to love.

Newcastle’s CCC is so popular it fills up almost as soon as it is announced, they are actually starting a new one to meet demand. Amazing.

(February 23, 2012 - 4:55 pm)

It’s great that it’s so popular. I took a guest along to the latest CCC and she loved it. I’m sure she’ll become a regular too.

• thelittleloaf

(February 23, 2012 - 1:27 pm)

Ooh I got an invite to a London CCC recently but couldn’t go… I wish I had been able to as it sounds like such a wonderful idea, although I’m not sure I could control myself with all that cake around :-)

(February 23, 2012 - 4:53 pm)

I’ve learnt after my first CCC that I should not attempt more than 3 slices of cake or I get cake sweats/shakes! Bonus is that you can take left over cake home.

• C

(February 23, 2012 - 7:04 pm)

Love the idea of an opportunity to bake a proper large cake to share with fellow cake lovers, don’t get a chance all that often. Interesting to see how other people interpret the themes too.

(February 24, 2012 - 8:21 pm)

Yes I love seeing how people interpret the theme too.

• carolyn

(February 25, 2012 - 9:00 am)

what a fab idea, I so hope we have one locally, if not, then I shall set it up,,lol…I will certainly enjoy looking at the recipes and trying them out

• Rosie

(February 27, 2012 - 10:26 pm)

Hoping to start up one in Northants in the not too distant……..

• Cakeboule

(February 27, 2012 - 11:05 pm)

I have been considering joining one for a while now as they sound like such great fun. Imagine all that cake – well I have to imagine you know the reality! Heaven…