fruit buns drizzle

Fruit Buns

These are fabulous fruit buns that are based on a savoury tomato & basil bread recipe I’ve been using in classes. They are perfect for introducing basic bread in a short lesson time because there is no yeast, so no rising time to worry about. It uses a surprising ingredient to make the bread lovely and soft and helps it to rise – cottage cheese. A frankly more exciting way to eat cottage cheese rather than spreading it on two tiles of cardboard, sorry Ryvita. I have tried this recipe with yoghurt, but it doesn’t work as well.

They are almost like hot cross buns but without the yeast and religious connotations. Due to the nature of this bread it doesn’t keep fresh for long. Ideally eat within a day. It can be quickly freshened up with 20 seconds or so blast in the microwave.

Fruit Buns
Serves: 10
  • 500g self raising flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 50g dried mixed fruit
  • 250g cottage cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 120ml milk
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 10 glace cherries
  • icing sugar (for decoration)
  1. In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt and mixed fruit.
  2. In a blender blitz the cottage cheese, honey, milk and egg until well combined. If you don’t have a blender mix the four ingredients together in a jug. The cottage cheese lumps will just be more noticeable in the cooked bun, but won’t change taste or how well the buns rise.
  3. Pour the milky mixture into the flour and stir until combined. If the dough is too dry and not combining add a splash of milk. The mixture may be a bit ragged, this is fine.
  4. Turn the mixture out on to a floured surface and knead for a minute or so until dough is smooth.
  5. Roll the dough into 10 golfball sized balls and place spaced well apart on a lined baking tray. Push a glace cherry into the centre of each dough ball.
  6. Bake at 190°c for 15-20 minutes until rolls are risen and golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
  7. Once cooled mix 4 tsp of icing sugar with 2 tsp of freshly boiled water then drizzle over the buns.

14 thoughts on “Fruit Buns

• Fuss Free Helen

(February 6, 2012 - 12:39 pm)

Interesting idea with the cottage cheese, I’ll give it a go. Buttermilk makes my breas rise to crazy levels, by interesting to see how the blended cottage cheese does.

(February 6, 2012 - 12:51 pm)

When I first found the recipe I was dubious if it would work, but I was really surprised. Value cottage cheese is also cheaper than buttermilk in the supermarket here.

• C

(February 6, 2012 - 8:09 pm)

They look great, and a really interesting recipe too. I have to admit that I haven’t baked much (well, I have one cheesecake recipe that require it) with cottage cheese, but it definitely looks worth a go. The first thing that sprang to mind when I saw these wasn’t so much bread as a scone recipe – scones tend to only be lightly sweetened too. Bookmarked for future reference!

(February 6, 2012 - 9:37 pm)

A good description of them would be a cross between a scone and soda bread.

• […] loads of tips this week from Butcher, Baker. Jules really does know her stuff, and this week, her fruit buns introduced me to the idea of baking something sweet using cottage cheese. Who’d have thought […]

• TrekkieTeacher

(February 19, 2012 - 7:10 pm)

I tried these as my half term homework…
    I’m lucky to be able to cook with my KS1 class on a weekly basis, so the easy to follow recipe combined with an excuse to use the blender, makes me think these will be a huge success with the children – thank you for the inspiration!

(February 19, 2012 - 7:30 pm)

Glad you like them. I’ve made the savoury version of these with a mixed KS1/KS2 class and didn’t use a blender (partially due to time constraints) the basics brands of cottage cheese are good because they are quite runny so you can get away without blending. I hope your class enjoy it!

• Marie

(February 20, 2012 - 11:52 pm)

These look very tasty and it’s an interesting recipe, I’ll be giving it a go at the first opportunity I have. I’ve recently been experimenting with longer and cooler proving times and have been very pleased with the results, but using cottage cheese is quite innovative. The recipe looks as if it would be very quick and easy to use if you had unexpected guests, for instance. Thanks Jules.

(February 21, 2012 - 9:28 pm)

I make my pizza dough in the morning and put it in the fridge to rise until dinner time. I find this makes the best type of dough for pizza. It’s interesting seeing how different proving temperatures and times can make a difference.

• Frances

(March 11, 2012 - 2:12 pm)

Hey Jules I just made a batch of these (didn’t have any honey so used a very little caster sugar and a bit of cinnamon instead) and they are delicious. I haven’t iced them and think they’ll be wonderful toasted tomorrow for breakfast. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Frances

(March 13, 2012 - 7:29 am)

Hi Francis, glad you like them.

• Kat

(May 19, 2012 - 1:56 pm)

I’ve just spent an age reading through your amazing blog and these have left me starving. Was really great to meet you and your Mr Man the other night. Kat.

(May 21, 2012 - 4:05 pm)

Thank you. It was great to meet you too.

• Nancy J. Dahlgren

(August 21, 2012 - 12:08 pm)

Oh, they look so tasty…I want them right now! Thanks a lot for the recipe given. I’m sure to try cooking those buns for today’s desыert!