Feta, pesto & sun dried tomato parcels

With what seems to be of increasing regularity the British institution that is M&S rolls out it’s Dine for £10 deal. In cash strapped times it can often be a good alternative to eating out. A few weeks back, while Hubs was gallivanting and trying not to get seasick around the British Isles with Skipper for Hire, I decided to buy one of the Dine for £10 deals and I could spread it over 2 nights. As it was just me eating I didn’t have to make any meaty compromises for Hubs and it could be my choice of wine, rosé naturally. I went for goat’s cheese, pesto en croute with raspberry panna cotta for dessert. Their panna cottas are the best shop bought ones you can get.

Last weekend  the Dine for £10 deal was on again but no sign of the delicious en croutes so took it upon myself to recreate the recipe, but this time with feta cheese. How hard could it be? With feta replacing goat’s cheese they still worked really well and bonus is that you can freeze them. Open freeze the uncooked pies then cook from frozen 200°c for 35-40 min, until pastry cooked and risen.

Feta, pesto & sun dried tomato parcels
Makes 4 parcels

1 packet (340g) ready rolled puff pastry

200g feta cheese, crumbled

1 heaped tbsp green pesto

4 large sundried tomatoes (If you’re a big a fan of them (I’m not!) add more)

1)      Unroll the pastry, using a sharp knife cut one horizontal line and one vertical line to divide the pasty into 4 equal quarters.

2)      In a bowl mix together the feta and pesto plus a sprinkling of black pepper.

3)      Divide the feta mixture between the four quarters of pastry. Place a sun dried tomato on top of the feta then fold over the pastry to encase the filling.

4)      Seal the edges with a fork then brush with beaten egg.

5)      Bake at 200°c for 20 minutes until risen and golden.

10 thoughts on “Feta, pesto & sun dried tomato parcels

• Glenda

(August 19, 2011 - 8:03 am)

We have the M & S £10 meals now and again. They are great when we go to stay at the flat in London for instance or if we are really relly busy. We find them excellent value.

(August 19, 2011 - 8:58 am)

They are good value. Far better than the Dine In deals from other shops.

• Dawnies Kitchen

(August 19, 2011 - 5:11 pm)

Bravo Jules! These look delicious…and even though they are fabulous value, whenever I look at the M&S (or Waitrose) dinners for £10, I can’t get rid of the voice in my head that says over and over again “You can make that yourself”. So what do I do when I get home feeling knackered…I phone for a takeaway!

Anyway, I’m going to give these a go – will probably do them with Goats’ Cheese though (my boyf sounds like Hubs, in that he shudders at the sounds of anything even slightly vegetarian…unless it involves Goats’ Cheese (maybe he thinks that is meat?!))

• the caked crusader

(August 24, 2011 - 7:15 pm)

feta and puff pastry is a winner with me – love the addition of sundried tomatoes too.

• Mrs M (@madamding)

(August 31, 2011 - 12:02 pm)

Love the sound of these, the look delicious too.

• Karen Xavier

(August 31, 2011 - 6:23 pm)

That looks like a wonderfully flaky crust… its got that nice gloss too, these are some great looking packages. I know it must taste great too!

• Rachel Priest

(September 15, 2011 - 6:04 pm)

Jules, I tried this last night as I had three extra adults to feed for dinner. I swopped Feta for goats cheese and added a few spinach leaves (got to sneak veg in wherever I can for the husband) and they worked a treat. Accompanied by homemade potato wedges and roast peppers, courgette, carrots, cherry toms and red onion. I was really easy to make and I was very pleased to hear their compliments so heres a big thank you for you!

(September 15, 2011 - 6:13 pm)

Rachel, I’m so glad they worked so well for you. I like the addition of spinach.

• Jami @MonsterMamas

(February 23, 2012 - 2:59 am)

Oh my goodness these look heavenly! I am always looking for interesting new ways to use feta as I love it…and I think this is certainly one worth trying. Thank you so much for sharing :)

• Niklas

(June 24, 2012 - 5:51 pm)

Lovely!