Chocolate, Banana & Fudge Muffins

Dr Oetker have kindly sent me a selection of their baking range. I will be testing most of the products in a few weeks with  my Little Helpers, but I couldn’t resist baking with the fudge chunks and we all know that fudge goes well with banana. Cooking with banana in cakes also helps to impart a lovely moistness to the cake. My Chocolate Banana Bread is one of Hub’s favourite cakes so I decided to alter this recipe.  If you don’t have any super ripe banana, peel and chop the banana then blast in the microwave for 10-20 seconds. This helps to soften and sweeten the banana. As for converting recipes a very rough rule of thumb is that a 2lb loaf recipe will make around 24 fairy cake sized cakes and these smaller cakes will take half the time of the 2lb loaf to cook.

The packaging does say that these fudge pieces maintain their form when baked. While that may work with baking like cookies I didn’t find this happened with these muffins. It did however mean there was delicious chewy parts in the muffin and I certainly won’t complain about that!

Chocolate, Banana & Fudge Muffins
Makes 12
based on Chocolate Banana Bread

60g unsalted butter, melted

50g caster sugar

1 egg

2 (150g) ripe bananas, mashed

50g fudge chunks

1 tsp vanilla extract

75g plain flour

14g cocoa powder

1 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda

pinch of salt

1) Preheat oven to 170°c then fill a bun tin with fairy cake liners.

2) Mix the melted butter and sugar together until well combined then beat in the egg followed by the mashed bananas. Stir in the fudge pieces and vanilla.

3) Stir in the remaining ingredients then put 1 tablespoon of mixture in each cake liner. Bake for 25 minutes, until cooked.

17 thoughts on “Chocolate, Banana & Fudge Muffins

(June 21, 2011 - 11:16 am)

Cute muffins! I have been trying out a few of the different ‘add ins’ that are around at the moment and it’s interesting how differently they react when you use them in different ways. I have some honeycomb pieces which are great on top of cakes but disappear when used inside them.

(June 21, 2011 - 11:28 am)

I wonder why it is? These left a fudge lined cavity inside. Next time I’ll try sprinking them on top.

• Alice

(June 21, 2011 - 1:28 pm)

I love Dr Oetker baking bits and yesterday read that they are the number one manufacturer of pizzas in Italy – even though they are a German company with a factory in the north of England! Love the sound of honeycomb in the comment above.

(June 21, 2011 - 1:37 pm)

I do like their products especially as they are easy to find and affordable. It’s been a while since I’ve had one of their pizzas though!

• katescakesandbakes

(June 21, 2011 - 5:48 pm)

They definitely have a lovely range- I bought some edible paper flowers a few months back, I’ve been trying to choose the best bakes that will show them off in all their pretty-petal glory ever since!

• Jenny Griffiths

(June 21, 2011 - 6:25 pm)

Absolutely fantastic mine disappeared as soon as I put them out, keep the recipes coming. Thank you

• jane

(June 21, 2011 - 11:36 pm)

i am looking forward to trying these but forward is the operative word..bananas are really expensive in australia since recently a cyclone wiped out most of the plantations..they are about $16/kilo and upwards which is a lot compared to their previous price of $2/ a banana now is treated like a luxury a joke a friend of mine recently served one cut up on a large platter and placed it in the centre of the table as the sweets course at a dinner party!

(June 22, 2011 - 10:22 am)

I never realised the prices for bananas had rocketed in Australia. I can now see why they are seen as a luxury at that price!

• Louisa

(June 22, 2011 - 3:03 am)

Yum I do love muffins! These look divine Jules!

• Amanda

(June 29, 2011 - 1:26 am)

I’m afraid I can see a problem with this recipe. It is very likely that I would eat all of the fudge before managing to get any of it into the mixture. A personal failing, I know.

• thelittleloaf

(June 29, 2011 - 1:34 pm)

Such a simple recipe and so delicious – I made mine with little white chocolate chunks instead and they worked beautifully. I always make sure I buy too many bananas so I have an excuse to make delicious cakes and loaves like these :-)

(June 29, 2011 - 1:52 pm)

I like the sound of using white chocolate in them.

• Anne

(July 7, 2011 - 5:03 pm)

I’ve been eyeing up those fudge chunks for a while and wondering what to make with them – the muffins look delish, love the combination!

• Teresa Crainey

(September 3, 2011 - 1:54 pm)

These look lovely, I tried making chocolate and fudge muffins, but when i put the chunks of cut up fudge (which i made myself) into the mixture, there were no pieces o fudge to be found in the muffins when i tried one, the fudge melted. How do i keep the fudge in whole pieces when baking muffins.. Teresa..

(September 3, 2011 - 2:03 pm)

Hi Teresa,
      This is still a quandry I’m trying to fix. Even though I used fudge pieces in these muffins that are not meant to melt, they still melted when the cakes were cooked. I guess it’s to do with the heat and length something is baked for.

• […] was also sent some fudge pieces that I used in Chocolate Banana Muffins along with some pretty shimmer sugar, citrus strands and cake release spray. I’m yet to try […]