light chocolate cake

Light Chocolate Cake for Easter

Julia Parsons from A Slice of Cherry Pie has hosted an Easter Cake Bake since 2007. My previous entries have included Mini Egg Tiffin and Simnel Cupcakes. I was pleased when she announced she was hosting it again as I already had a cake in mind. Easter in the culinary world usually means chocolate and a lot of it. As we had visitors this weekend I thought it would be a great opportunity to make my first ever sandwich cake (yes you read that right, my first!) and bake something from my newest cookbook purchase – Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache by Harry Eastwood.

Sometimes I’m a bit slow to jump on the cookery bandwagon, I haven’t attempted cake pops, whoopie pies or macarons yet. When Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache was released in 2009 I admit I didn’t pay too much attention to it even if I’d been baking vegetables in cakes for a while. Until someone on twitter was talking about this book recently I didn’t really appreciate what it was about. This isn’t just about baking with vegetables it’s about gluten free baking and baking cakes without butter. Shocking at first the thought of baking without butter, but this can be replaced in the cake by vegetables. As Harry points out only use butter in cakes where it is going to be tasted. With the ever-increasing price of butter this is good advice. In the case of the Light Chocolate Cake the butter is replaced with Butternut Squash. While the majority of the recipes featured in the book use rice flour this can often be substituted with plain flour if you wanted to. I haven’t had a problem sourcing rice flour. Sainsbury’s sells Doves Farm rice flour, but you won’t find it by the conventional flour it’s but the free from foods. Holland & Barrett also sell brown rice flour.

You would never guess this moist, fluffy cake was gluten free and tasted far from virtuous. In keeping with the slightly haphazard way I bake the two layers of the cake were slightly different sizes, I was too stubborn to go and buy two identical tins but being blinded by the chocolate no one noticed. I could have trimmed the layers to make them equal, but was running out of time.

I could put the recipe below, but if you followed it probably wouldn’t work as the recipes from this fantastic cookbook are not simply recipes they are a revolution in baking. To get the most out of the recipe you need to read the introduction in the beginning of the book that explains the ingredients and methods that are different to traditional baking. To give you an idea about the recipes in Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache Harry has put a few of the recipes on her website. I wholeheartedly recommend buying the book and look forward to baking from it again soon.

12 thoughts on “Light Chocolate Cake for Easter

• foodfrivolity

(April 18, 2011 - 10:47 am)

This looks delicious – I had a stab at a traditional chocolate cake too but was looking for a good gluten free version. Thanks!

• sarah, simply cooked

(April 18, 2011 - 11:23 am)

I have read about this book on a few other blogs and always found it to be very intriguing. My question remains whether the sugar content of the cakes are also reduced? My main health concern is about sugar, not fat. I love baked goods with vegetables, though, so I think this sounds great for me.

(April 18, 2011 - 11:41 am)

Ignoring the icing this cake has 160g of caster sugar throughout the whole cake. The cake serves 8-12.

• sarah, simply cooked

(April 19, 2011 - 1:03 pm)

Hmm, that’s not too much at all. About 2 teaspoons of sugar per serving for the cake by itself. Thanks!

• Jane - Kitchen Stools Direct

(April 18, 2011 - 8:19 pm)

I recently purchased this book from the Amazon website, and I must agree with you – it is indeed a true revolution in baking! What an ingenous way to include gluten-free alternatives and not compromise on the flavour. Your choco sandwich cake has turned out quite well, Jules, and looks yummy. Thanks for this post.

• The Curious Cat

(April 18, 2011 - 8:24 pm)

This looks delicious!!!

• clairetweet

(April 19, 2011 - 3:56 pm)

Looks good. I could just eat a slice now with a nice cuppa tea. I find sandwich cakes quite tricky myself, I often get a sunken middle!

• Easter Baking | from Groupon's UK Blog

(April 20, 2011 - 8:46 am)

[…] but if that’s not to your taste or perhaps you are looking for something lighter then this Light Chocolate Cake for Easter from Butcher, Baker looks delicious. If you are looking for a more technical recipe to […]

• bvgbgbngb

(April 21, 2011 - 8:54 pm)

This looks so good i even want to eat the computer;)

• James

(May 17, 2011 - 12:54 pm)

Mmmmm, I really want a slice.

• eatinglikeahorse

(May 28, 2011 - 9:19 pm)

I love tha book! It’s my Bible when it comes to cake-making; this one and the coconut are the best (in my humble opinion) :-)

(May 28, 2011 - 11:29 pm)

I’ve since made the Victoria Sponge too that was great. I’ll have to try the coconut one next.