Veg Plot Swap

The thing about owning a veg plot is that it is easy to get overwhelmed with various fruit and veg. This is when it comes in handy to have friends who also have veg plots and this is when the veg plot swap is born. Due to the size of our veg plot it’s rare for us to have a glut, but we certainly are the recipients of other gluts that we usually give back in the form of baking. Some people in the village have become enterprising and sell their gluts at the bottom of the drive with the help of an honesty box.

Redcurrants were the first of our recent veg plot swaps.1kg was turned into redcurrant jam, 1kg juiced and now maturing in rum to make an alcoholic cordial ready for Christmas and the final 500g is in the freezer ready for rhubarb & redcurrant jam making in the near future. Another alternative would be to make a Summer Pudding. Great way of using up not only leftover fruit but also leftover bread.

Courgettes. If you follow me on twitter you would have heard my sighs of despair with all the courgettes we’ve been given recently. Not being one to throw food away I’ve been cooking them in many ways. I’ve tried different recipes, one of which made me to bake one of the worst muffins I’ve made in a while, and have fallen back on the delicious courgette & feta fritters, oven-baked frittata plus courgette cake with lime cheesecake icing.

Growing a veg plot has certainly encouraged us to be creative in the kitchen. If you’re looking for inspiration and advice with gardening and veg plots head over to Fennel & Fern’s new community.

0 thoughts on “Veg Plot Swap

Choclette

(August 8, 2010 - 7:28 pm)

Wish I had someone to swap some of our courgettes for redcurrants. Very envious of all your jams, drink and some left over for the freezer too. Just made stuffed courgettes for supper. Mostly we make soup with them as they do make a very tasty and fine textured soup which is quick to make when you get home from work.

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jules, rivingtonlass. rivingtonlass said: RT @Domestic_jules Veg Plot Swap: http://wp.me/pJrBR-lu […]

Whimsical Wife

(August 9, 2010 - 10:18 am)

You just cannot beat courgette, cheese, sundried tomato scones – buttered and eaten hot straight from the oven – lovely lunch with a splodge of chutney

(August 11, 2010 - 11:05 am)

Ahh, good idea. I did try courgette muffins but they were awful. I’ll have to try courgette scones instead.

Justine Potter

(August 9, 2010 - 10:51 pm)

loving all your pics! mmmm

Sophie

(August 10, 2010 - 8:16 pm)

I sympathise – we have three courgette plants between two of us which I realise now is too many :-) Yellow ones like yours too – these ones seem very productive, unlike some of the other plants I’ve chosen for their unusual colour.

My strategy is to make lots of pisto to freeze (a kind of ratatouille) and to griddle fresh courgettes which shrinks them down a lot and serve on good bread with lemon, olive oil and goats cheese.

(August 11, 2010 - 11:03 am)

Thanks for the tips Sophie. I didn’t think of making a ratatouille and freezing it.

Brooke

(August 18, 2010 - 4:19 pm)

Can I also suggest this brilliant recipe for surplus corgettes?

I absolutely cheat by using jars of pesto from the supermarket and I also grate the corgettes as I don’t (yet!) have a mandoline.

It’s very nice with the sundried tomatoes, but I find that a good teaspoon of harissa paste is also brilliant!

This is probably one of my favourite ways to eat corgettes now, and wonderful at the end of a long day at the office.