Asparagus Frittata

The frittata has been food theme of the last 2 weeks. Not only  is it a great fridge-bottom dinner, I’m currently teaching a mini version of this basic recipe to kids. With it I’ve managed to convert some egg haters to egg fans. What is great about the recipe is that it can be eaten warm from the oven or next day cold in a lunch box. The fillings are very much interchangeable and is perfect as quick dinner as it’s just a case of a bit of whisking, throwing it in the pan and leaving it to bake in the oven.

With the asparagus season coming to an end we have been eating loads of these delicious green spears. As it’s not available for much longer it has meant we’re getting bargains of 20-30 spears for as little as £2.50. At the beginning of the season I was seeing bunches of 5 spears for not far off £5.

The cornflower addition isn’t essential, but it does help to make the frittata fluffier. Other popular fillings here are spinach, feta & mint; Cheddar, bacon & mushroom plus basic cheese and cherry tomato.

Spinach & Feta Frittata
Serves 4

4 eggs
1 tbsp cornflour
200ml milk
asparagus spears
seasoning

1) Heat oven to 220oc. Blend the cornflower with a bit of milk, then whisk in the rest of the milk and eggs. Season with salt and pepper.

2) Line 8in x 8in baking tin with baking parchment. Pour in the egg mix, then lay the asparagus spears in the tin. Bake for 20 min until firm and golden. Can be eaten warm or cold.

0 thoughts on “Asparagus Frittata

Choclette

(May 25, 2010 - 8:10 pm)

Oh this does look good. I haven’t had any asparagus yet this year – I bet it goes really well with egg.

James

(May 25, 2010 - 8:41 pm)

Never thought of adding cornflour – will try it.

Did the cupcake cases work?

(June 21, 2010 - 3:47 pm)

I ended up using oil spray in bun tins and they worked really well.

Jacqueline

(May 25, 2010 - 9:03 pm)

Tried to persuade my hubby towards an omelette or frittata for dinner tonight. He wasn’t having it. I would have been very happy to have this for dinner :)

(June 21, 2010 - 3:48 pm)

This is one of the few veggie meals I get to squeeze into Hubs during the week. We usually serve it with salad and jacket potato.

Sally

(May 26, 2010 - 5:35 am)

That’s supper tonight sorted – thanks for inspiration. It’s the hardest time of year for me to think of menus – the heat and cranked up in Dubai and I would have salad every night if didn’t have hungry hub and children!

(June 21, 2010 - 3:51 pm)

I find this a great summer meal as it can be eaten hot or cold, eaten in advance and requires minimal prep.

Mike

(May 30, 2010 - 7:46 pm)

That looks lovely… should try it with Fresh Formby Grown!

Lizzie

(May 31, 2010 - 1:40 pm)

It looks really lovely – asparagus season is one of my favourite times of the year.

Adriana from Baking Powders

(June 1, 2010 - 5:54 pm)

jules that looks delicious! and i’ve fallen in love with your blog! everything’s yum yum! and good looking!

Jane

(June 9, 2010 - 9:20 am)

I made this last night with spinach, feta and black olives and it was absolutely delicious. I’ve never made frittata in the oven before, or used cornflour but now I don’t think I’ll ever do it any other way – apart from the fact it was so light it meant I could sit with a glass of wine while the oven did the work!

Pen

(June 14, 2010 - 11:46 am)

Oooh there’s some late English asparagus in our Morrison’s this week I might try this for a quick tea tomorrow before Guides. As a former egg hater I am getting better and this looks like it would be firm enough for me to try.

Lucy

(June 23, 2010 - 2:10 pm)

This also works very well if you start it off on top of the stove in a cast iron frying pan and finish it off under the grill – I often do a simple potato and herb frittata, or tart it up with bits of bacon, chorizo or whatever’s left in the fridge – also good with a bit of cheese grated in it!