Something for the Weekend – French Toast

Weekends are something that can easily be taken for granted. Two full luxurious days to ourselves to do what ever we want; for me usually involving a trip into Derby to browse the shops then baking and for Hubs working on his classic Mark I Austin Healey Sprite. Of course not every weekend is so hedonistic so when we have weekends free we take full advantage of them. Weekday breakfasts are a fleeting affair, often eaten standing up in the kitchen, where the main aim of the morning is to get showered, fed and out of the house in record time so at weekends the one thing we always make time for is a decent breakfast.

We lay the table properly, switch the radio on and have some time for ourselves as a couple over something sweet be it French Toast topped with berries, croissants, pancakes or waffles. Here, bacon sarnies here are reserved for when we have guests. I tasted French Toast for first time last year and have been hooked ever since. If we’re ever out for breakfast the first thing I’ll do is scan the menu for my favourite item.

French toast can be made with a few bready items including your everyday sliced white, croissant and my personal favourite sweet, fluffy brioche. Last weekends French Toast was made with the last few slices of Fruit Beer Bread. Although it didn’t soak up the eggy custard as well as the wonderful brioche it still made a perfectly delicious breakfast. To try and introduce a healthy balance to the breakfast we always simmer down some berries. The freezer is full of various berries that we have picked from the PYO or I have bought off the reduced counter. Last week’s fruit offering was blueberries (yes, you can buy British blueberries) and they cut through the sweetness of the bread perfectly. Of course this is all served with a glass of cold orange juice and a big mug of tea.

The perfect start to a weekend.

French Toast
Enough for 2 people

100g berries
1 tbsp sugar
small amount of lemon juice
4 slices of bread/brioche
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla caster sugar (or use normal caster with a few drops of vanilla extract)
60ml (4 tbsp) milk

1) In a small saucepan slowly heat the berries, sugar and lemon juice until the berries break down and you have a thick, delicious coulis.

2) Melt a small amount of butter in a saucepan. In a shallow dish whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Once slice at a time dip the bread into the custard giving the bread a few seconds to soak up the eggy mix then place into the sizzling frying pan. Fry both sides of the bread until browned. Continue with the rest of the dipped bread. Serve with the coulis.

0 thoughts on “Something for the Weekend – French Toast

Jenny

(January 30, 2010 - 12:46 am)

I love weekend breakfasts, we also try to do something a bit more special. Haven’t had french toast in ages though, this has inspired me to make some this weekend!

Jennifer

(January 30, 2010 - 12:51 am)

Yum, we love french toast. Stuffed french toast is great too, some berries and cream cheese sandwiched together and then dipped and made up like regular french toast.

(February 3, 2010 - 7:35 pm)

Jennifer, that sounds amazingly delicious! I’ll certainly have to give that a go.

Chele

(January 30, 2010 - 5:03 am)

French Toast is my fave too – although I have a new recipe for the Breakfast Club I’ll be trying out on Sunday. Love the photo, my mouth is positivly watering!

(February 3, 2010 - 7:36 pm)

I have to admit it was your Breakfast Club posts that inspired us to have the special weekend breakfasts.

katie

(January 30, 2010 - 8:50 am)

You know, I’ve never had French Toast! I may have to rectify this next time the boy and I are off together!

Katie xox

aforkfulofspaghetti

(January 30, 2010 - 1:44 pm)

I’m with you on the brioche – I think it makes the best French toast, too, just because of the extra egginess (and also because of its lightness). This looks divine!

Gloria

(January 30, 2010 - 2:00 pm)

This look really yummy!!! I love it gloria

the caked crusader

(February 1, 2010 - 10:08 am)

I’m drooling!

Lizzie

(February 1, 2010 - 1:55 pm)

I love French toast – I used to eat it all the time at little roadside cafes in Hong Kong. I think they only used egg white (pappy white bread essential) and it would be drizzled liberally with maple syrup.

(February 3, 2010 - 7:38 pm)

I love it in the fact that it is essentially a cheap breakfast dish, but at the same time luxurious.

Alice

(February 3, 2010 - 5:37 pm)

Eggy bread is one of my favourite snacks, however I’ve always been slightly scared of cooking French Toast! I am worried I will dislike it and never be able to eat eggy bread again…

(February 3, 2010 - 7:40 pm)

Give a go. I was also a bit worried I wouln’t like it a I have fond memories of Eggy Bread from Guide/Brownie camps.

Welsh Rarebit Muffins « Butcher, Baker

(January 24, 2011 - 2:56 pm)

[…] usually at the weekend for a proper more luxurious breakfast. Be it croissants, pancakes,  french toast topped with fruit compote or Hubs favourite, a simple boiled egg with toast. There is something […]