Chilli Cheese Scones

Since finding my holy grail of scone recipes in Grandma’s cookbook last year I have been playing around with the dough and flavours. My Cookery Kids have very successfully made scones with this recipe and Grandma even professed my scones to be far superior than any you can buy from the local bakeries.

It’s been an age since I’ve made savory scones, but recently I was on a course and for elevenses they served chilli cheese scones. They were so delicious I wanted to have a go at making them at home. Whenever I bake scones it always brings up the age old argument between Hubby & I as to how you pronounce it. I sc-on-e, Hubby says sc-own-e. Of course I think I’m right!

Now, the trick with scones is to not roll them out too thin. The thicker the dough, the more they will rise. I can highly recommend eating these warm from the oven with a generous slather of butter. Yum, yum.

Chilli Cheese Scones

Makes 9 medium scones

225g plain flour
40g butter
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
handful of mature cheese, grated
2 generous pinches of chilli powder
1 egg, beaten
If you wish you can replace the bicarb and cream of tartar with 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder.

1) Sieve the flour, bicarb and cream of tartar into a basin. Rub in the butter, add the chilli and cheese. Gradually stir in milk 1 tbsp at a time until you have a smooth dough.

2) Turn out onto a floured surface and roll until about 2cm thick. Cut into rounds and place on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment. Brush the top of each scone with beaten egg. Bake at 200oc until golden and firm. Cool on a wire rack.

0 thoughts on “Chilli Cheese Scones

• LexEat

(October 20, 2009 - 10:38 pm)

Yum! I'm with you – definitely sc-on-e

• The Curious Cat

(October 21, 2009 - 8:41 am)

Ooo you've got me thinking…I'd love a savory scone with a dolop of melted butter on…hmmmmm

• Kerri

(October 21, 2009 - 10:08 am)

My recent attempt at scones was pitiful, I'll try your grandma's recipe next time.I love savoury scones, more so than the sweet variety I think.

• Chele

(October 21, 2009 - 4:35 pm)

Mmmmmmmmmm – perfect food for a blustery autumn night.

• Springtime

(October 21, 2009 - 6:06 pm)

Why does cheese and chilli taste so good? I love toasted cheese and tuna sandwiches with sweet chilli sauce. A weird combination but it works! Also I just made macaroni cheese with roasted pumkin, and guess what I roasted the pumpkin with?!

• Janice

(October 21, 2009 - 8:37 pm)

These look fab.

• Rhyleysgranny

(October 21, 2009 - 8:40 pm)

Oh I am drooling

• Cottage Garden

(October 22, 2009 - 7:20 am)

Thank you Jules for leaving a comment over at mine. I've been having a look around your blog and I love it! Great recipes – I'm drooling at this one!I will be back for more!Jeanne x

• PinkCat

(October 22, 2009 - 10:53 am)

I made some great cheese scones when I did my baking course at Leith's earlier this year, but these look like an even better recipe which I'll just have to try! x

• Lizzie

(October 24, 2009 - 4:57 pm)

When you tweeted about these I think I actually dribbled. They look great!

• mangocheeks

(November 5, 2009 - 3:40 pm)

Jules,I saw your mini wedding cake representation of yourself on UKBA and it reminded me of my wedding cake, so I just had to come over and check out your blog. It is truly wonderful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing your creations. I really like them.Once again, thanks for making me smile on this rainy day.

• Easy Peasy Pizza « Butcher, Baker

(January 17, 2010 - 4:33 pm)

[…] for the dough to rise so I needed to find an alternative. The base for this is essentially a basic scone recipe. It could have herbs, spices and even cheese added to the dough to make it different, however this […]

• […] Chilli Cheese Scones – a savoury treat. […]