Cherry Bakewell Biscuits

With a hectic and stressful week in work I wanted to do some stress relieving baking and a recipe I found on a forum I lurk on, ticked all the right boxes. The recipe is based on Smitten Kitchen’s slice & bake cookie palette. I’ve never made a biscuit like this before, but I think I now may be hooked. It is such an easy technique and it was nice coming home from work with some fresh dough in the fridge knowing I was less than 15 min away from freshly baked biscuits. These are also the first biscuits (I think) that I’ve made in my KitchenAid. I did a half batch as quite frankly my hips are turning more Nigellaesque by the day.

While looking through my baking cupboard for biscuit fillings I found some glace cherries that really needed to be used. Along with my almond extract the idea hit me. Biscuits inspired by my favourite cake, a Bakewell tart and so it was born – Cherry Bakewell Biscuits.

They are incredibly moreish and Hubby & I are trying not to eat them all in one sitting, and yes they do taste like the hallowed Bakewell. The primary reason for making them is for a treat in our lunchboxes as if I know I’ve got a little homemade treat in my box I’m less inclined to raid the staffroom biscuit tin. I’ve already started to think about other variations of this biscuit – dark chocolate & sour cherry, lemon & poppyseed, apricot & almond…

Cherry Bakewell Biscuits
Based on Smitten Kitchen’s slice & bake cookie palette
Makes 25

115g unsalted butter, room temperature
40g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp almond extract
140 plain flour
100g glace cherries, chopped

1) Beat together butter and sugar until you have a buttercream, then beat in yolk and extract.

2) Add cherries and flour then beat again until ingredients are well combined. Flatted dough into a disk, cover in clingfilm and chill for 30 min.

3) Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out into a long log with a diameter of around 3cm. Wrap back up in the cling film and chill for a further 2 hours (minimum). If the dough isn’t chilled sufficiently it will begin to misshape when it is sliced ready for baking.

4) Preheat oven to 180oc. Cut the dough log into rounds about 1cm thick and place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 12-14 min until they are cooked. Once cooked transfer to a wire rack to cool.

15 thoughts on “Cherry Bakewell Biscuits

• […] the past I have reincarnated the Cherry Bakewell in biscuit form and while baking Fairy Cakes for a School Fete last week I decided to make them in Fairy Cake […]

• Lucie

(August 19, 2010 - 7:51 am)

These look delish! Very English – perfect with a cup of tea. Thanks for sharing.

• wrenster

(November 24, 2011 - 2:10 pm)

Made these this week – absolutely delcious. Got a bit carried away and made chocolate and chocolate chip ones too! Thanks for the recipe

(November 26, 2011 - 9:24 am)

Glad you enjoyed making them. I like the idea of the chocolate variant. They also work well with mini smarties.

• […] are wonderful from the spicy speculoo to the melt-in-the-mouth Cherry Bakewell biscuit. I’ll also never say no to gaudy pink wafer. For many making biscuits was one of the […]

• Nelly

(April 25, 2012 - 12:27 pm)

These look lovely, I love the log/cut method of making biscuits, also Cherry Bakewell is my all time favourite flavour combination.

These are going to the top of my to-bake list!

(April 25, 2012 - 12:33 pm)

I also like that the log can be made in advance and stored in the freezer meaning you can have freshly baked biscuits anytime.

• GirlaboutBath (@GirlaboutBath)

(November 27, 2012 - 8:48 pm)

Currently making these – it’s certainly a good sign that the biscuit dough tastes so good….

(November 27, 2012 - 9:09 pm)

Thank you. Your comment has made me laugh. I promise the biscuits are even better than the dough!

• lizzy

(June 21, 2013 - 2:36 pm)

are these hard or soft biscuits?

(June 21, 2013 - 2:43 pm)

They are buttery biscuits like melting moment so I’d describe them as semi soft.

• Pat

(June 27, 2013 - 2:55 pm)

is there such a thing as leaving the dough in the fridge for too long? e.g 24 hours?

(June 27, 2013 - 2:59 pm)

24 hours is absolutely fine. If it was 5 days or so though I’d reconsider as the dough can take on a rancid smell if left for too long.

• Emma

(June 28, 2013 - 8:52 am)

can you make these without chilling the dough? Does it make a difference to the bakewell taste?

general question: Why do some cookies call for the dough to be chilled for hours and other cookies do not?

(June 28, 2013 - 9:12 am)

It won’t make difference to taste but will to texture. If not chilled they will spread lots. You chill dough in recipes that are generally high in butter. This stops the biscuits misshaping when baked. It also can help the dough relax.