Today is Children in Need and in school we had a Strictly Come Dancing day. All of us staff were dolled up with ball gowns and tiaras and I certainly got some odd looks while I was defrosting my car this morning! To raise money we had a cake stall. I made some cinder toffee, boiled fruit cake and some thumbprint cookies. I’ve never made thumbprint cookies before, but was inspired by some I saw on tastespotting a couple of weeks ago. The cookies tasted nice, but I made the huge mistake of using cheap cheap jam and it just wouldn’t do anything but sit there in a horrible looking blob. Next time I’ll use decent jam.
Makes about 28
140g plain flour
50g ground almonds
50g granulated sugar
1) Preheat oven to 180oc. Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Mix flour and almonds then add to the butter cream. Mix well until combined. Form into dough ball
2) Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. Line 2 baking trays.
3) Take about a teaspoon worth of dough and shape into a ball. Place on baking sheet and press firmly in the middle with your thumb. Continue with the rest of the dough. Place 2 inches apart.
4) Bake for 8 minutes. Take out of the oven and put about 1/4 tsp of jam in the cookie thumbprint. Return to the oven for 7 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown on the edges. Cool on baking rack.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)